7 Ways To De-stress And Remain Human!

I’m guessing if you are here reading this you’ve been feeling a little stressed lately. Everyone is effected by stress differently, its a part of our every day lives but its how you handle that stress that makes a difference. I often let stress get the better of me until I’m a quivering mess, this is so unhelpful & so not healthy! So if like me you get stressed really easily a helpful list like this should aid in easing those feelings of worry and anxiety.

IMG_7869-2

Get some quiet time

For me this is a big one, after a fairly stressful day I like to just sit in silence for a while. Literally no TV, no music, no noise at all!!! It helps me piece together all of my thoughts without disruption and channel a clearer state of mind.

In contrast to that you could listen to some classical music

Classical music has a sort of charm, its very soothing and actually really nice to listen to. It scientifically allows us to de-stress by lowering our heart rate and blood pressure as well as helping us to concentrate. So if you haven’t yet given classical a go, now is the time!

Take a relaxing bath

As soon as you have some potential me time take it and run with it! Relax in a nice hot bath, add some essential oils such as lavender or bergamot that specifically assist at tackling stress and anxiety. Heck whilst at it throw in a glitter bath bomb (because glitter makes everything better of course) and even scatter flowers on top of the water. Set yourself up with some candles too and you’ll be well on your way to a stress free life! Trust me the nicer the bath looks and feels the better the bath!!

Take a walk

Ever had one of those days were you’re stuck with nothing to do but you know you just need to leave the house!? Thats because walking releases those feel good endorphins helping our mood change from bad to good, add nice scenery and your stress levels will deteriorate. Walking around somewhere alone actually makes myself feel even more stressed out and anxious so I’d opt for walking with a friend, family member or partner. This also gives you the opportunity to talk through whats stressing you out whilst hearing another perspective on it!

Pamper yourself

Pampering yourself could be anything from whacking on a face mask to painting your nails. Whatever makes you happy and allows you to feel better about yourself take time out to do it! This will give you a break from your negative thoughts and allow you to focus more clearly thereafter. (I’m a mum so painting my nails or putting on a face mask is sheer luxury!)

Take up yoga

I LOVE yoga, I’m a big fan! Yoga isn’t just excersise and stretching, it incorporates breathing techniques which if done deep & slow (no innuendo!) helps our bodies to calm down and relax. I often do yoga at home with an instructor on the TV, pair that with relaxing oriental meditation sounds (there are tons of apps for this) and you’re onto a winner! Yoga also has a meditation aspect to it which helps us to centre our minds and rid it of troubles and worries, so get your yoga mat out and de-stress!

Take a break from your phone and all forms of social media

We’ve come a long way since dial up internet & Nokia 3410s and whilst thats great because its paved a new way of life for us its also a big stress!! We have access to whatever information we need as soon as we need it, there are platforms upon platforms of social media, peoples opinions wanted and unwanted scattered through our timelines. So.much.going.on!! Take a break! Sometimes going ‘old skool’ is just what we need to clear our heads.

I realise whilst writing this that I actually need to take some of my own advice!!

1. BestBitsAboutBrighton April 17, 2016 / 11:33 am

Yes, to all of these ways to destress. My favourites are walking and relaxing baths. I love your picture at the top of the post.

• cheskaaanels April 17, 2016 / 12:17 pm

Yes I love a good walk, there is just something about it that relieves my stress and ups my mood giving me a clearer perspective! 🙂 Thank you I took it this morning it took ages to set up and I’m not a big fan of the outcome haha but glad you like it 😀

2. Kiri April 17, 2016 / 7:04 pm

Reading is quite a good one to de-stress, or doing a hobby such as sewing- if I’m focusing on something like that it means I’m not thinking about whatever it is that’s making me feel stressed! Also, I have quite a long drive home from work so I find singing along to music at the top of my voice (and out of tune!) is a good way to shake off the stress before I get home.

• cheskaaanels April 17, 2016 / 8:04 pm

Yes I agree I love reading it can really help if I can concentrate enough, sometimes I too stressed to be able to! And yes I hand make a few things too so thats definitely something that helps! Hahaa I love the imagery of the singing in the car! Whatever works to de-stress I’m all for it!

3. Lisa April 17, 2016 / 7:06 pm

Stress is a part of every day life, more so these days! I already take walks and step away from social media when I’m feeling particularly stressed. I should check out Yoga and a few other of your tips! Thanks for the suggestions!

• cheskaaanels April 17, 2016 / 8:04 pm

No problem!! Yoga is one of my top picks its amazing for stress!!

4. fashionmommywm April 18, 2016 / 11:57 am

Quiet time away from social media is a great way to relax and recharge.

5. My Life As A Mummy April 18, 2016 / 7:23 pm

A long walk on my own usually helps me when my anxiety is playing up. It used to be smoking and a cup of tea, but seeing as I’ve just given up smoking I can’t do that anymore

Laura x x x

• cheskaaanels April 18, 2016 / 8:02 pm

Oh well done for giving up!!!! There are better ways to de-stress than smoking so thats awesome! Xox

6. PurelyAmy April 21, 2016 / 6:58 pm

For me it’s got to be just sitting in bed and watching a good movie. Nothing can relax me quicker than just switching off. x

• cheskaaanels April 21, 2016 / 7:02 pm

I love switching off but I find when I’m stressed out I just can’t at all!!

7. Stephen April 21, 2016 / 7:48 pm

I am hopeless at learning to chill out when I am stressed, I really do need to find a way to de-stress!

• cheskaaanels April 21, 2016 / 9:32 pm

Haha I am I have to try and remind myself to chill out!

8. Sharon Martin April 22, 2016 / 3:44 pm

Totally agree, I always to forget to have me time always too busy running around trying to get everything done.

• cheskaaanels April 22, 2016 / 3:46 pm

Agreed its so hard to make time for yourself! But its so important for a clear state of mind and positive energy!

9. Hayley April 22, 2016 / 4:01 pm

There’s a piano playlist on Spotify I love to destress with x

• cheskaaanels April 22, 2016 / 4:19 pm

Ooo I’m going to check that out thanks!! 🙂

• cheskaaanels May 6, 2016 / 11:19 am

Haha yes I agree on the book front! The gym is also a really good one actually but I just rarely go!! Haha

10. EG III May 10, 2016 / 4:14 am

For me, sometimes the best way to de-stress is to hit the gym for a good workout session. I used to be a football player (American football), and our coach used to always say to us: “This is one of the few sports where you can go out and legally hit someone as hard as you like!” Sound a bit barbaric? Perhaps. Destressing…Without a doubt! 🙂

• cheskaaanels May 10, 2016 / 5:48 am

Hahaha!! Sounds dangerous but definitely destressing!

11. absolute living June 12, 2016 / 1:47 am

Hey! I love this article! I was just writing one similar and was hoping to link your blog in my post, if that would be alright?

• cheskaaanels June 12, 2016 / 5:42 am

Hi oh fab! Yes of course you can thank you for asking!