Say Goodbye to Negativity

No one likes negativity right? So why do we surround ourselves with it!? I must admit I’m quite the pessimist but knowing that about myself makes me want to be more of an optimist! I’m forever excusing my pessimism saying things like ‘thats just how I’m wired, I can’t help it’, ‘Its just a part of me’, ‘I can’t change that’. But what if we can change the way we think? What if instead of being so negative about everything we try to be positive and find the silver lining in all situations? What if we say goodbye negativity and begin a calmer, happier journey to positivity?

Positivity can transform your life – Now I sound like some sort of guru. I’m not a guru I promise. You’ll be less stressed, healthier and feel great about life and yourself. Saying goodbye to negativity could be the best thing you’ve ever done and here are a few tips on how!!

Say Goodbye To Negative People

I know saying goodbye to people sounds harsh and drastic but keeping those people in your life could cause more harm then good to your own mental state. Whether its deleting them off facebook, or your life entirely, do what YOU think is best. Don’t let guilt get in the way, do what you have to do. Maybe it only makes sense in your own head but if it makes you happier and at peace then you can find comfort knowing its for the best. Thanks for the experiences, thanks for the time shared, but now I have to move on.

Don’t Hold Grudges

This is one thats obviously easier said than done. When we feel like someone has wronged us, threatened us in some way, or not been the person we thought they were we can end up feeling angry towards them. When that anger festers it turns into serious negativity, you begin to feel bitter feelings & emotions and eventually you’re holding a grudge. I’ve been at the centre of many grudges towards people, perhaps even grudges the other person didn’t know about – This does no good! My mental state is riddled with anxiety and anger, I have terrible dreams or find it hard to sleep, I feel so sick I can’t eat or I eat too much! Nothing a grudge promotes is positive its actually very unhealthy and brings out the worst in us. Let that shit go, come to terms with it! People change, situations change, change is a part of life, move on.

Say No To Online Feuds

Theres no denying that the online world has taken over, if we aren’t constantly checking our facebook notifications, we’re scrolling through our twitter timelines or finding a picture to post on Instagram. Online feuds are a pretty rife thing and sometimes theres no escaping them if you feel strongly enough about something. Make it a mental note to yourself that you’ll try to avoid all types of online disagreements, if that means keeping your opinions to yourself whilst online, do it. If it means feeling quietly upset about something online so be it, but do not enter the trap of getting yourself into a flurry over one persons opinions. Online feuds are often the worst kind since everything is typed, the way things are meant to be said can get lost or misconstrued & suddenly you’ve caused more harm than you ever intended. I’ve been really mindful of this lately and it does make a big difference!

Scroll Past Negative Articles

I know we are all a little (or a lot) intrigued when we read a shocking headline of a news article. What would be worth knowing is that the media plays up to their competition, not all their information is reliable or fact, & often its made to sound worse to entice readers and make it look as though they are the first source with new information. Aside from that, reading negative news stories about the world we all have to live in promotes nothing but negative thoughts and feelings, sometimes even fear and anxiety. Don’t do it to yourself! Pleasantly scroll on past or chuck that newspaper straight into your recycling bin its not worth the hassle!

Surround Yourself With Feel Good People

You’ll want to surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you, people that make you feel good that you enjoy spending time with. Luckily for me my husband is one of the most positive people I know and he always encourages me to see the good in a bad situation. He also gives me a logical explanation to the way I feel about certain things, he really does bring out the best in me! People who aren’t so positive can end up wearing you down to a point were you don’t feel like spending too much time with them and you might also start to enjoy their company less. Thats okay, we still need to be there for our friends when they are going through life, just be deliberate to hang out with or talk to the friends that make your mental state a happier and unburdened one a lot more.

Little things that aid you in feeling good and positive are: Getting enough sleep, starting the day early (nothing worse than waking up having missed most of the day), eating healthier good for you foods, setting yourself goals (in life or around the home), spend regular time on a hobbie that you love, take up regular excersise classes, generally just look after you!!

Now go and enjoy a more happier, healthy you – For yourself & those around you!

1. LaaLaa (@LaaLaaMonroe) June 10, 2016 / 6:28 pm

Good tips, I’ve done this, this past year. Had to distance myself + reevaluate who is good for me. Not everyone deserves to be in your life imo. You can make your outerlife & online life a positive place x

2. AMBER June 10, 2016 / 8:15 pm

Love this! We can control so much of our lives by only controlling our minds but it sure can take a constant effort. I totally love your positive vibe and well written article.

• cheskaaanels June 10, 2016 / 8:39 pm

Thanks so much! We all need a little positivity xox

3. Our Little Organic Life June 11, 2016 / 8:49 am

When you actively move from being pessimistic to making room for positivity in your life, that says a lot about you as a person and your own personal growth. Its like falling down the rabbit hole…you find that one change spurs on all sorts of other changes in your life which makes your life, your family’s life and in some small way, the planet, better! Lovely article.

• cheskaaanels June 11, 2016 / 8:51 am

Oh gosh I love this comment its absolutely all true!! I’m so glad you enjoyed this post 😀 may positivity always prevail! Xox

4. Rachel June 11, 2016 / 9:36 am

So many good points and totally with you on online feuds, what is the point x

• cheskaaanels June 11, 2016 / 9:36 am

Exactly it just causes more grief than necessary! Xox

5. Jess Acorn June 11, 2016 / 10:07 am

Really good advice! I think more people should be doing this, we could all be a lot happier within ourselves if we let go of our negativity!

• cheskaaanels June 11, 2016 / 10:09 am

Absolutely!! I’d say its a must do! We create our own happiness after all xox

6. Stephanie Gaunt June 12, 2016 / 7:01 pm

This is all true, but easier said than done. Someone in our family may be negative, our oldest friend… No one makes us feel anything, we have the power to acknowledge negativity – but then let it go.

7. Jenny Kearney June 12, 2016 / 7:17 pm

Great tips. I’m a bit of a pessimist too so try hard to stay positive.

8. SJ June 16, 2016 / 2:27 pm

Love these tips! Thank you for sharing. SJ x

9. Amy Rutter June 18, 2016 / 6:15 pm

I can totally relate to this and I think negativity has such an effect on us and the other people around us. There’s something that my boyfriend and I try to do every now and then and it works so well that I’ve started to introduce it at work too. We list three good things that have happened – or are going to happen – that day. It really helps to make you see the positive things in a day, even when you feel like you might have had a crappy day, you actually realise there have been good things even if they’ve been small!

• cheskaaanels June 18, 2016 / 7:02 pm

Ahhh yes ai do actually do that too if I feel like my day has turned a little negative!!!

10. Working Mum Blog June 19, 2016 / 12:23 pm

Great suggestions! Scroll past negative news is something I need to start doing and same for mute updates on social media from people that spread negativity and hatred.

• cheskaaanels June 19, 2016 / 12:27 pm

Yes I’m a sucker for negative news articles! Have just been ignoring them lately, there is too much negativity in the world!

11. Jessica & James June 20, 2016 / 9:05 am

Oh what a lovely read this was. It was like we was meant to read this post – we couldn’t agree more!

It’s something we, maybe more I, need to work on! Thank you for this truly inspirational post!

Jessica & James ☺️💓

• cheskaaanels June 20, 2016 / 9:09 am

Awwwh thank you guys!! You’re awesome! Glad you liked the post, living by this is what has kept me sane recently haha!

12. Cecilia Keinapel June 20, 2016 / 11:11 am

This is so true, I have to admit that I am not very good at thinking positive. It is however harder because you let yourself think its hard. Its all about changing the thinking pattern, the more happy and positive you are the more your brain will start thinking happy thoughts. Remember the thought you have before going to bed will affect the next day. Always think positive even things seem impossible and wears you down. You create with your thinking in the same way of that you become what you eat. Great post xx

• cheskaaanels June 20, 2016 / 11:34 am

Great advice!! Glad you liked the post 🙂 xoxox

13. jenny August 17, 2016 / 8:14 pm

I’m a bit of a Pessimist and think it is hard to re-train your mind but it can be done!

• cheskaaanels August 17, 2016 / 8:19 pm

Yeah its not an easy ride at all! I’m still a pessimist but I’m much more positive now!

14. misspond August 18, 2016 / 8:03 am

Fantastic tips, it’s so easy to get caught up in negativity. I unfollow/mute on twitter if people are getting a bit too much for me!

• cheskaaanels August 18, 2016 / 8:40 am

What a good idea to mute!! I’ve never done that, may have to take that advice haha xox

15. Angela Milnes August 26, 2016 / 12:23 pm

What a fab post. I totally agree with this. We can choose how we respond or whether to be positive or negative.

• cheskaaanels August 26, 2016 / 1:33 pm

Exactly! I’m glad you liked the post so much, thanks for a lovely comment!

16. jojo140883 August 26, 2016 / 1:09 pm

I always end the day by reflecting on the positives that have happened – even if it’s just a small thing like my baby boy let me drink a cup of tea whilst it was still hot 🙂

• cheskaaanels August 26, 2016 / 1:34 pm

Haha I too do this!! Its a helpful way of remaining grateful as its so easy to let things get in the way and we loose appreciation for the little things!

17. Phill August 26, 2016 / 4:11 pm

It’s hard to fill your life with feel good people if you’re not a feel good person. I think the tips will generally push away bad eggs and Definetly support the journey great post thanks X phill corporate dad

• cheskaaanels August 26, 2016 / 5:15 pm

Yes I totally agree!! Glad you enjoyed the post 🙂

18. Yorkshire Tots (@YorkshireTots) August 26, 2016 / 8:11 pm

All fantastic ideas. I find as I get older it gets much easier to distance myself from negative people but I could be much better about not holding grudges!

• cheskaaanels August 26, 2016 / 9:51 pm

I find that too actually!! Haha letting go of grudges is a hard one but its worth it!

19. Little B & Me August 26, 2016 / 9:09 pm

I do try my best to follow these rules, more so recently!
    It does help me to be happier xo

• cheskaaanels August 26, 2016 / 9:52 pm

I agree!! I’ve only applied these this year but already I feel so much better!

20. Sarah August 26, 2016 / 9:52 pm

Fantastic post! It’s such a great feeling when you lose the toxic people in your life. xx

• cheskaaanels August 26, 2016 / 9:53 pm

Isn’t it!? I’m trying to convert everyone haha

21. Rachel August 27, 2016 / 1:18 pm

I am a total grudge holder, I try not too but it i part of who I am x

• cheskaaanels August 27, 2016 / 1:44 pm

I was a total grudge holder but I feel much better letting it go! If I need to cut that person out of my life I will but I won’t hold onto a grudge things will just be different. Xox

22. Hello Beautiful Bear August 27, 2016 / 11:08 pm

Great tips lovely, I could really do with following some of these (and I think I will, thank you!) X

• cheskaaanels August 28, 2016 / 8:16 am

Oh you’re so welcome thats exactly what they’re here for! Xox

23. eatsleeds August 28, 2016 / 2:27 pm

This is such good advice 🙂 I definitely need to delete some negative people from my facebook + other social accounts.

24. Rhian Westbury September 6, 2016 / 2:05 pm

I am quite practical with my thoughts so negativity comes quite naturally but saying goodbye to negative people is great x

25. Are and Pops September 6, 2016 / 2:26 pm

I disagree with some parts, I had a friend decide she didn’t want to be my friend because I was negative (going through a hard time in my life and turning to the friend I had helped through things so often before) and she decided because she didn’t want to be there for me I was negative. Friendship is about give and take and the idea of getting rid of people that don’t suit your emotional state is ridiculous

I feel sorry for the friends she has now incase they ever need her help or advice etc and she deems them too negative.

• cheskaaanels September 6, 2016 / 3:15 pm

In this case your friends excuse is a silly one, you can’t call someone a negative person if they are going through a rough patch, being a friend is about being there for eachother in good and bad, I wouldn’t say you’re a negative person because you are going through a rough patch! Negative people are people who give you shit or say horrible, condescending and patronising things to you often to make you feel bad about yourself, a negative person is someone who isn’t going through a bad patch but always has a negative thing to say about someone or something for no real reason, usually just to be horrible and that what I’m talking about.

26. Amy September 7, 2016 / 11:36 am

Love love love this post – everything you’ve said is completely true. Positive mind = positive life! 🙂

27. Mellissa Williams September 7, 2016 / 2:37 pm

I know a lot of negative people, but now I try and surround myself with positive people

28. Charli Bruce September 8, 2016 / 9:53 pm

I have never held a grudge in my life, I like to forgive and forget but that doesn’t mean that I am a walk over it just means that I don’t like to dwell and let things like that fester inside of me. I also got rid of a lot of negative people in my life this past year and I have to say I am so ultimately happy now without them that it just brings a little brightness to my life that wasn’t there before! Great post by the way xx

• cheskaaanels September 8, 2016 / 10:01 pm

Thats amazing! I use to find it terribly hard not to hold onto things but I feel way better now that I let it go! Its great isn’t it to feel like a weight has been lifted and you can begin yo be a happier person, I love how little changes can change us so much!

29. Jessica Ayun September 9, 2016 / 4:42 pm

The best goodbye you can do. Negative are toxic and don’t let them destroy you.

30. Sabina Sher September 9, 2016 / 10:39 pm

I honestly believe in the power of positive thinking and the powers it had. Great advice on passing on the negative! x

31. Katie Lou March 17, 2017 / 10:26 pm

Love love love this post! Can’t quite find the right words but it’s refreshing to read something written by someone else which I can resonate to so much! Xo

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk March 18, 2017 / 10:32 am

Oh I’m so pleased you enjoyed the read and could relate to it so well!! I did enjoy writing this one!