Photography Basics – How To Achieve Desirable Photos

I’m a big lover of photography. At the age of 18 I had a growing obsession with the world of photography and tried my best to learn what I could in my spare time. Photography has always been one of those things that for me I could never grow bored of, its always been more of a hobby than a money earner as I’d hate to fall out of love with it and feel pressured as I have done in the past! I’m always finding prime opportunities to get my camera out, especially when the kids are enjoying themselves! Just like blogging, photography will always be something I enjoy and can use practically as a skill in nearly any context. Blogging and photography go hand in hand (probably why I love it so much), Its great that I’ve been able to show off my work through the use of my blog and I’m aware its a skill that more and more people are beginning to fall in love with.

Choosing a camera can be really quite confusing and difficult for most, with so much choice I can totally understand and relate! For example my camera only shoots stills as I don’t tend to shoot video very often, but if you wanted the perfect all rounder camera that shoots stills, videos and can be used in a variety of weather conditions taking a look at the Panasonic CSC Camera might just be what you’re looking for! I always find it helpful going to a professional photography store where I can ask for advice and play around with the models they have available before making my choice, and I highly recommend it!

I very often have people compliment me on my photography and ask for tips/pointers so I thought it would be really helpful and beneficial to write a little bit about photography basics. These are the basics that took my work from 0-100 aesthetically and in my opinion are the most important to learn and understand! I hope they’ll be able to help you have a better understanding of your camera and photography so you can create those photos you’ve always wanted!

The 3 most important settings you’ll need to learn to use on your camera are the shutter speed, the aperture and the ISO settings. All three when used correctly will allow you to take the perfect photo, they also have something in common, they each determine how much light is let into the lens when shooting so they should all be used conjunctively.

Shutter speed

This is the most common and most obvious setting when changing how bright or dark your photos will come out. The smaller the shutter speed the more light that will be let in. For example on a very sunny day I’ll use a much higher shutter speed so that the photo isn’t over exposed! Shutter speed also does something else to your photos, it allows you to be quite arty with your shots. For example A higher shutter speed will give you a still photo, however if you wanted to capture movement of say water or lights you’d use a smaller shutter speed like 1/15 that can capture the movement thats happening.

The left photo was taken with a shutter speed of 1/15 the right was taken with a shutter speed of 1/160

Aperture

This is a setting that is really very easy to use and its also the setting that everyone admires when looking to achieve a clean, professional edge to each photo. The aperture gives your photos a depth of field, this is when an object/person is in focus whilst the background is nice a blurry making the focused object really stand out, of course this works the same way with blurring the foreground and having a further back object in focus. You’ll find the aperture function on your camera will start with an F, i.e. F2.8. To achieve a blurred background you want your F number to be low, its good to know at this point that some lenses only go so low on the aperture front. The smaller the F number the larger the aperture and the more light you’ll allow into the lens, this could potentially over expose your photos so you should change your settings where necessary.

The left photo was taken with an aperture of F10, the photo on the right was taken with an aperture of F2.8

ISO

Not to be confused with an IOS update is the third but easiest setting you’ll have to get to grips with. Your cameras ISO is basically like a quality filter, the higher the number the more sensitive it is to light which is perfect for low light situations. The thing with ISO is that the higher the number you go the grainier your photo will become and so the quality of the overall photo is compromised. The good thing is that with most cameras there is an auto option on the ISO function and this is what I tend to do when using mine.

The photo on the left has a lower ISO than the photo on the right that has a high ISO if you look closely you’ll notice the difference in the grain.

Knowing what you know now, I recommend going away with your camera and experimenting with each setting in different environments, for example use your camera indoors and then try outdoors. This will give you a good understanding of each setting and how they like to be used. You’ll also be able to experiment by finding your own individual style with the use of each setting.

*This post contains sponsored content.

1. LaaLaa June 23, 2017 / 11:16 am

Very informative post – some great tips. Just learning the basics of your camera you can get the best out of your photos x

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 23, 2017 / 11:22 am

Absolutely, applying these tips will dramatically help your skills!

2. abbeylouisarose June 23, 2017 / 11:19 am

Such a useful post, Francesca! Your photos are stunning in every blog post and give me such envy every time! I have an SLR camera but I really need to learn how to get more out of it, time for some experimentation this summer, I think!

Abbey 💜 http://www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 23, 2017 / 11:24 am

Awwh I’m so pleased you found it helpful!! I really enjoyed writing this one. Honestly the way I learned to use my camera was through experimentation and I’ve come a long way from the photos I use to take! I’m really glad to hear you love my photos too, means so much because I just love taking the time to shoot them!! xox

3. Baby Isabella June 23, 2017 / 11:31 am

This is a great post to explain things in simple terms. My mummy wants to go on a course as she’s fascinated with getting the best out of her camera x great tips x

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 23, 2017 / 12:34 pm

Oh awesome you can get courses on deals which is often great!

4. Stephanie Merry June 23, 2017 / 3:11 pm

Love these tips, I was lucky enough to go on a pretty in depth photography course a few years back which has really helped with my blog photography x

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 23, 2017 / 5:58 pm

Awwh thats awesome!! I think courses are great I’ve never had the time or money for one myself but I totally would!

5. Samantha Bye June 23, 2017 / 10:29 pm

This is so useful! I really want to venture into the world of photography, but finding a ‘starter camera’ as someone with no knowledge of what to get is quite overwhelming! The one you’ve recommended looks great, so I may have to look into that.

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 24, 2017 / 5:30 pm

Honestly the body isn’t as important as the lenses you have, luckily I have a few lenses to choose from but this is why lenses can cost more than the actual body of the camera. Definitely play around with some models and you’ll know what you like!

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 24, 2017 / 5:30 pm

Awesome glad its been good for you!

6. Donna June 24, 2017 / 5:59 pm

Interesting! I ahven’t learned anything about photography before but would like to know more now that I am blogging!

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 26, 2017 / 6:30 pm

Thats great all of these tips should help you on your way then!

7. Melanie June 25, 2017 / 9:24 am

I am not a photographer, but there are some fab tips here that I would not have thought of 🙂 x

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 26, 2017 / 6:30 pm

Oh fab!! Hope they can help!

8. nicol June 25, 2017 / 8:09 pm

its always great to know the basics to help. even if people doesn’t have a dslr, point and shoot cameras has these functions too

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 26, 2017 / 6:31 pm

I have more and more people asking for help on photo taking so just the basics will teach you a lot!

9. Lilinha June 25, 2017 / 8:56 pm

I’ve had my camera for around 3 years but I am still learning about it, great info! 🙂

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 26, 2017 / 6:31 pm

Well these here should help 🙂

10. clarissa June 25, 2017 / 9:12 pm

ah thank you, I have done basic photography but learning thoroughly as I have a Sony A5000 and really want to use to it’s full potential love the information given!

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 26, 2017 / 6:32 pm

Thats awesome! Hope you’re enjoying the process!

11. Emily Leary June 25, 2017 / 9:30 pm

Great, practical tips! It can be surprising how many variables there are to taking a photo!

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 26, 2017 / 6:32 pm

Yes, I think sometimes people think its all to hard to understand but just the basics will help SO much!

12. Sarah Ann June 26, 2017 / 12:41 pm

Great tips. I’m still a novice with my camera and tend to feel like I’m having a constant battle with the light, but I’m slowly getting there (I think!)

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 26, 2017 / 6:33 pm

Lighting can be an issue but you’ll get there! I always love natural light!

13. Jessica & James June 26, 2017 / 2:39 pm

We are blessed that you have shared such information with us. We are always in awe with how amazing your photos are and you’re sharing your wisdom with us! We did a photography class last year and we’ve pretty much forgotten all of this – so thank you!

Jessica & James | foodandbaker.co.uk / foodandbakertravels.co.uk

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 26, 2017 / 6:34 pm

Hahaha its easily forgotten but they’ll help a great deal!!

14. Yaya June 26, 2017 / 3:33 pm

Thanks for sharing how you achieve such beautiful photos. It’s always good to know how to improve your blog photography and it’s especially helpful with these basic, but very useful tips!

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 26, 2017 / 6:34 pm

You’re so welcome I hope you get some use out of them!

15. AJ Wathern June 26, 2017 / 8:26 pm

This is what I look for every time I read photography tips! You were very informative but also very clear, so thank you for that! Also your header is beautiful!! xx

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 28, 2017 / 1:21 pm

Awwwh I’m so glad you enjoyed it!! And thank you so much, I love it too!

16. Leslie Hernandez June 26, 2017 / 8:44 pm

These are some great tips!! I have been working on my photography skills I definility need to work on it and improve. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Leslie xoxo

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 28, 2017 / 1:21 pm

Well I’m glad to be of help!!

17. Rebecca June 26, 2017 / 11:11 pm

This is so helpful – I’ve just got a new camera and struggling to get to grips with it

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 28, 2017 / 1:22 pm

Oh these tips should help a great deal then!! Just make sure to play around and practice!

18. Tanya Brannan June 27, 2017 / 8:24 am

Thank you so much for this post! I have juat bought a Nikon D3300 for blogging and I found these tips really helpful. So easy to understand, I feel like I could attain these styles without frying my brain reading complicated manuals!!

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 28, 2017 / 1:23 pm

Yes see I wanted it to be easy to understand! I’ve read so many posts that are so complex to understand you get nowhere!

19. Angela Bethea June 28, 2017 / 4:03 am

Thank you so much for this awesome tips! I totally agree with this. I think this is very helpful and worth reading.

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk June 28, 2017 / 1:23 pm

Glad you enjoyed it!! I love photography!

20. Carolynne July 2, 2017 / 3:03 pm

Ooh what a great post to read for me… I currently have a Nikon which I splashed out on last year but which I still don’t know how to use. Which is embarrassingly bad! Thanks for these few tips. Off to practice the Aperture function as this is the one i want to perfect! x

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk July 2, 2017 / 9:00 pm

Oh thats so awesome, really hope this has helped you!! Honestly just play around with it and mess around with the settings you’ll soon get there!!

21. Deborah Nicholas July 2, 2017 / 7:24 pm

This is great – thank you for the tips and well done you for sharing, too many people tend to keep hints and tips to themselves but im all for sharing 🙂

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk July 2, 2017 / 9:01 pm

Yeah I’ve noticed this haha but why not help, I’m all for it!

22. Polly July 9, 2017 / 1:12 pm

Such good tips! I’m really trying to get into taking photos for my blog so this is so helpful!

Poll
    Xox

Toothfairytalksblog.wordpress.com

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk July 10, 2017 / 10:25 pm

Awwwh I’m so happy!! Let me know how you get on with them!

23. Stacie July 10, 2017 / 3:59 pm

Such a great post. I’m currently on the search for a new camera, so many to choose from – it’s very difficult! Thanks for the tips xx

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk July 10, 2017 / 10:26 pm

You’re so welcome thanks for reading!! Glad it can be of help to you! There are so many models but don’t let that scare you, play around with some and you’ll find the one thats right for you!