The ABH Subculture Palette – A Beauty Fail??

You would have probably heard everyone going on about the launch of the new Anastasia Beverley Hills palette – Since the ABH team released the photo of the subculture palette every beauty connoisseur has been eagerly awaiting its release! Admittedly, I was one of those people! The Palette has a mix of my most favourite colours – mustard, teal and burgundy, plus those really awesome warm shades that everyone loves during the Autumn months. The autumnal theme is so strong in the subculture palette, and if you know me well enough you’ll know that autumn is my most favourite time of the year what with chai lattes, oversized knitwear, the warm tones of oranges and browns and of course halloween I’m very much in my element that time of year, so naturally the Subculture palette drew me in! I’ve never been someone thats hot on a products launch date, I’ve never fed into the hype, what I usually do is wait to hear the feed back and reviews on something before committing to buying the product and in a lot of ways I wish I had done this with the Subculture palette!

I’d been refreshing the Anastasia Beverley Hills website constantly on launch day, they tend not to release the time their new product will be available to the general public so that the site doesn’t crash, so its all guess work and dedication if you want to snap up their newest big thing. Scrolling through my twitter timeline I began checking all relevant hashtags related to the palette where I found thousands of enthusiastic people like me who desperately wanted to know what time it would be available on the site but no one knew anything, I ended up waiting a few hours before checking again. Finally a few hours later I refreshed the site and the Subculture palette had been launched, the excitement surged through me as I popped one into my basket and went straight to checkout before they all sold out! Delivery was promised within 4-10 days but of course I was hoping for sooner rather than later.

Luckily my palette arrived on around day 4 or 5, the anticipation was building as I carefully but excitedly opened the box. I’d seen online that some palettes had arrived to their destinations smashed and I was dreading that mine would be one of the bad bunch! Much to my excitement the palette was in tact and absolutely perfect! I was instantly in awe, hearts pumping in eyes kind of awe!! The palette packaging has a felt like feel to it which I personally adore, it definitely stands out from any of my other palettes. The shades in the palette seemed even more perfect than in the photo release that I just couldn’t wait to swatch each shade! Other eager makeup and beauty lovers must have opted for super fast delivery for their palette as I’d already been hearing mixed reviews but I’d hoped that all the bad reviews weren’t going to reflect my own experience, I looked on with optimism!

I started with swatching the shades in the Subculture palette with my finger and much to my delight they did not dissappoint!! At this stage I was pretty sure that my experience with the palette would be great, the shades are really pigmented and bold, how could you go wrong!? I’d decided to record my first use of the palette for my YouTube channel, which you can watch here if you want to see first hand my reaction to using it!

I found that the shades in the palette came away from the the pan a lot more than usual, the formula is very powdery which made for quite a mess and a lot of fallout on my white bedsheets, not ideal!! Not only were they very powdery but they were also really difficult to blend into the crease of my eye. I never usually have an issue with blending my eyeshadow, normally its done within minutes and I always manage to achieve a beautiful gradient blend that I just wasn’t getting with the shades in the subculture palette. All in all it took me around 40 minutes to do my eye makeup and I’d given up trying as hard half way through use since I was growing more and more frustrated with the state of it, its definitely not an ideal or convenient palette. Due to the colours not blending well together it gave off a really messy look, it looked like a child had done my makeup and thats definitely not the look I or anyone else should be aiming for. Another finding of mine is that the shades transferred to other parts of the eye that I hadn’t applied it to, this only got worse the longer I had the eyeshadow on for and within minutes the shades were no longer as rich looking as when first applied.

For £42 I’d expected a lot more from the Subculture palette, to say I’m disappointed is an understatement!

I know a lot of people are waiting eagerly for the next batch of palettes in the hopes that the issue would have been sorted out, I just wish they had got it right the first time around! I expected so much from the release of the new Anastasia palette, I tried so hard to make it work for me. Unfortunately The Subculture palette wasn’t worth the hype so I’m now currently looking for dupes of each shade!

1. Louisa Fryatt August 25, 2017 / 2:58 pm

I’m not sure about the combination of colours personally.

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 3:52 pm

Well thats a shame but this is me in a palette hence my want and need of it!

2. Olivia Jade August 25, 2017 / 6:28 pm

I heard about this palette and the swatches on your arm look amazing (may be how perfectly neat they look ha) it sounds like a super disappointing palette especially for that amount of money! You’d at least expect the shadows to be the best quality.

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 3:53 pm

Yes for sure, I’m really disappointed and saddened by it to be honest!

3. Sarah Bailey August 25, 2017 / 7:59 pm

What a shame you were so disappointed by the palette, it is a lot of money to spend out, especially on something that doesn’t make you go WOW!

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 3:53 pm

Right?? I’m not impressed at all!

4. Mel August 26, 2017 / 10:18 am

Such a shame you were disappointed by it, sounds very underwhelming for such a hyped product

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 3:53 pm

It does doesn’t it!? Shame that it isn’t just me not getting on with it as so many people seem to be having the same issues!

5. Susan R August 26, 2017 / 6:50 pm

I love the shades but it’s a pity that they were so hard to apply! Thanks for your honest review

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 3:54 pm

Glad you enjoyed the honest read! I think its so important to be as honest as you can be when it comes to products!

6. five little doves August 26, 2017 / 7:04 pm

Wow at £42 I would expect more too! I hate eyeshadows that don’t blend properly and look to powdery, shame this didn’t live up to the hype!

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 3:55 pm

I know right what a waste of money!

7. Jacqueline August 27, 2017 / 4:50 am

Anastasia Beverley Hills is a popular brand and loved by beauty bloggers the world over. The colours are heavily pigmented which is always attractive. I’m curious about the ingredients.

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 3:55 pm

Yes me too!! I have other Anastasia products that I absolutely love but this just doesn’t match up to their usual standard!

8. MELANIE EDJOURIAN August 27, 2017 / 1:37 pm

What a shame it was such a disappointment. I hate it when eye shadows are too powdery as it can make a mess in the palette and where you are using it. I think that some products are hyped way too much sometime.

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 3:56 pm

I agree and thats why I like to be so honest in my own reviews!! I find a lot of reviews are hyped up and the product isn’t as good as everyone says it is!

9. hannah August 27, 2017 / 6:05 pm

It did look really good but is a shame it’s so powdery, i really hate powdery eyeshadows

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 3:57 pm

Its a big problem especially since minimal fallout is preferred!

10. stephanie August 28, 2017 / 1:39 pm

That’s a shame that you’re disappointed with the palette. I’ve not tried much from ABH before but I don’t think I’ll be picking this up x

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 3:57 pm

I don’t blame you its a big disappointment!!

11. Agata August 28, 2017 / 3:46 pm

Such a shame. I hardly ever buy a new product on a launch date. I prefer to read and listen to some reviews before spending my money as too many times before I was disappointed like you.

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 3:58 pm

Yes this is what I usually do but I saw this and just loved it right off the bat and having tried some of their products before I was confident it couldn’t be bad… I was wrong!

12. Elizabeth August 28, 2017 / 3:54 pm

Sorry to hear it’s not as good as a product as you were hoping – they’re such beautiful colours too! Such a shame!

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 3:58 pm

Aren’t they just!? I’m so disappointed!

13. Angela Bethea August 28, 2017 / 5:33 pm

Wow good to hear that you recieved your package in a great condition and not smashed. Those palette shades looks so lovely!

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 3:59 pm

I know was happy it didn’t come smashes but such a shame it wasn’t worth it!

14. Emily Leary August 29, 2017 / 9:49 am

Oh no, always a shame when products don’t live up to your expectations, especially when the colours are so nice!

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 3:59 pm

I know I’m so in love with these shades too!

15. nicol August 29, 2017 / 1:44 pm

the colours are beautiful but I’ve heard so many bad things about this palette. I’ve watched a few videos and the odd one here and there showed how pigmented and amazing this palette was. the majority was disappointed

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 4:00 pm

The shade are definitely well pigmented but there is something about them that makes them unbendable and hard to work with!

16. Kayla Loves September 1, 2017 / 4:43 am

Such a shame! The colours are so nice!
    Kayla x
    kaylaloves.com

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 4:00 pm

I know I’m so sad that I can’t really use them!!!

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk September 2, 2017 / 4:01 pm

Awwwh thank you guys!! I know I was really disheartened with it!

17. Life as Mum September 28, 2017 / 11:36 am

That’s a shame. £42 is a lot of money too! I don’t buy these but I do like to read about them.

• francescaferrarinelson@yahoo.co.uk October 5, 2017 / 2:12 pm

Yeah its a huge amount for something not worth it at all!!