How To Survive Moving In With Your Partner!

IMG_7872

You’ve found yourself in a bit of a situation, you now have no idea what to do about it or how to keep sane – You’ve moved in with your partner!! Socks on the floor, toilet seat always up, hair pins in every place you look and now you’re starting to wonder why oh why you decided to move in together! At first it seemed like a cute idea, move in together, morning sex, afternoon sex, late night sex, watch series after series on Netflix, breakfast in bed, decorate together and take trips to Ikea to buy cute homeware. You also had expectations when it came to keeping the place tidy i.e sharing the chores, cooking together and sharing the laundry. But your expectations don’t quite match up to the reality right? ย No one said it’ll be easy, in fact living with your partner takes some getting use to. Here are some helpful tips to keep you sane and help you to work through those more trialling moments.

Don’t expect too much

We all have expectations, yes even your partner too. Learn when enough is enough & when you need to lower your expectations, you don’t want to come across naggy or potentially start a row! Absolutely no one likes to hear criticism (unless of course you do & I’m completely wrong!) so bare that in mind when approaching a confrontation, expecting too much especially if your partner isn’t use to it can be dangerous territory, prepare for changes to take time but also be willing to change things yourself too.

Its not a one way street

If your partner does things that irritate you bare in mind you probably to do things that your partner doesn’t like too. When you decide to move in together its no longer just about you and what you want/need you’ll both need to compromise & adjust your new living situation. Yeah you’ll probably feel like your frustrations are more important because they are directly effecting you, but your partner has feelings too! If you tell your partner off for not changing the loo roll make sure you are conscious of doing that yourself every time too. There is nothing worse than complaining about something and being caught out for doing that same thing!

Be courteous and graceful

Its easy to take all your stresses out on the person causing them when you’re feeling deflated but remember to stay courteous. Approach it nicely, remain calm & collected and remember its hard to please everyone so show a little grace. Go in all guns blazing & you really could damage a good thing!

Start a rota

You’ll both need to equally share the chores/housework, a rota is the best place to start. Depending on your work schedules agree who will do what each day, and stick with it!! The little things such as making the bed or washing up are easy to deal with – The last person to get out of the bed makes it and you both wash up whatever you use straight away, this will reduce cleaning times and no one will have to fight over who’s doing the washing up (Because we all hate it just as much as the next person)!

Execute nice gestures

Remember you still love each other (If you don’t you should maybe think twice about living together!). Nice gestures go a long way! Just because you now live together doesn’t mean that spark has burnt out, keep that spark alive!! If I know my partner loves a good massage I’m going to take time to make him feel special and wanted. Granted this won’t happen all the time but remember its an important part of any relationship. It can be something as small as leaving him/her a note in their coat pocket or somewhere they are bound to find it! Easy right?

Have fun!!

Most importantly remember to have fun! You should both be enjoying this new voyage together, new territory, exciting prospects! Don’t always take life too seriously there are worse things happening and a dirty sock on the floor isn’t one of them!!

1. Stephen April 30, 2016 / 2:57 pm

A little bit of give and take is all you need and like most things in life, it is a learning curve.

• cheskaaanels April 30, 2016 / 2:59 pm

Absolutely! Luckily it hasn’t been so difficult for my husband and I we have survived so far! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Readyfreddiego September 9, 2016 / 10:01 am

I sometimes wonder how we both managed to put up with each other for so long haha. I think we like to annoy each other at least once a day to keep the childish element! X

• cheskaaanels September 9, 2016 / 10:37 am

Hahhaa thats mandatory! I love that!

2. melissazia90 April 30, 2016 / 3:14 pm

It’s definitely different that’s for sure! I have lived with my husband for 5 years now and it’s been mostly brilliant thankfully ๐Ÿ™‚

• cheskaaanels April 30, 2016 / 3:16 pm

Haha for sure! Yes thankfully for my husband and I too. Its great to hear success stories!!

• cheskaaanels May 1, 2016 / 8:15 am

Yes I agree!! Its so important to keep doing those things! It doesn’t all have to change just because you now live together ๐Ÿ™‚ xox

3. annalisanuttall May 1, 2016 / 9:10 am

We (husband and i) never has those problem, for us it was natural progress and we found to really like each other company. xx

• cheskaaanels May 1, 2016 / 9:15 am

Same here, it never felt like a massive difference living together but we communicate very well so I’d say thats a big reason!

4. fashionmommywm May 4, 2016 / 3:59 pm

Basically it’s all about comprimise, it’s new and different for both of you at the end of the day.

• cheskaaanels May 4, 2016 / 4:07 pm

Yes exactly so hopefully my tips are helpful to some! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Stephen Morrison May 4, 2016 / 7:01 pm

Moved in with my partner after knowing her for three months. That was four years ago. Like you say, one of the rules is to be tolerant and understanding of each other’s foibles.

6. Stephanie May 5, 2016 / 9:24 am

Great tips – I’ve not moved in with a partner before but I’m sure it’ll take some adjusting to! x

• cheskaaanels May 5, 2016 / 9:30 am

Glad you liked it! Hopefully they can help you when you decide to take the plunge! ๐Ÿ™‚

• cheskaaanels May 5, 2016 / 9:31 am

Awwwh congrats!! Believe me its a fun little venture it just takes some getting use to and some more than others but so worth it!! Xox

7. Jess May 5, 2016 / 11:09 am

I’ve been with my fella for 8 years and we still haven’t moved in together haha! I see so many couples rushing it and squabbling over really basic stuff. You’re right – people shouldn’t expect so much!

Jess
    Philocalist.co.uk

• cheskaaanels May 5, 2016 / 11:28 am

Yeah its a unfortunate situation sometimes but you’re doing the right thing taking it slow!! ๐Ÿ™‚ xox

8. misspond May 6, 2016 / 8:02 am

I’ve been living with my partner for 4/5 years now, definitely agree with the expectations bit, it’s where I’ve seen others fail. The rota thing wouldn’t work for us because of our jobs but we share what we do equally. Also honesty is key, you need to be able to communicate at the end of the day ๐Ÿ™‚ And enjoy it- it’s great fun!

• cheskaaanels May 6, 2016 / 8:07 am

Yes thats the same with us a rota doesn’t work but we both do our fair share and thats all that matters, especially on top of having children a rota is the least of our worries but we have seen couples thrive from them too! Yes I agree honesty and communication are very key if you can’t communicate well there will be problems! Its for sure a fun and exciting experience though ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Nikki โญ (@MissSparkles81) September 8, 2016 / 9:23 pm

Great post. I will be moving in with my other half soon after living by myself for 10 years so it will be interesting! ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Harriet from Toby & Roo September 9, 2016 / 1:07 pm

Fab tips – I don’t think you can really know someone until you live with them haha! H x

11. Rhian Westbury September 9, 2016 / 1:56 pm

Great tips. I have only ever lived with friends but I can attest to the rota being super helpful x

12. Sarah (Mum x3x) September 9, 2016 / 2:01 pm

I agree, a little give and t ake goes a long way and being considerate of each other. Having no high expectation is a good tip, too! Great post, thank you for sharing xx

• cheskaaanels September 9, 2016 / 2:06 pm

Glad you enjoyed the read and can agree!

13. Kaz & Ickle Pickle (@IcklePicklex) September 9, 2016 / 8:25 pm

I have been living on my own (with my children) for seven years and cannot actually imagine living with a partner now! Kaz x

• cheskaaanels September 9, 2016 / 8:27 pm

Hahaha its like having another kid in some ways sometimes!

14. Daniel Mosco September 9, 2016 / 8:42 pm

It is a big step seeing someone once or twice a week to everyday. The need to impress decreases while the comfort level increases.